Saturday, March 13, 2004
The Breakfast Club
It's pretty common to see teen life being depicted "accurately" in drama serials and movies these days, and it seems that it's a subject that really sells both on the big screen, and on the telly.
Everyone's been through that age where you're trying to find your voice, some of us are still in it, some of us reminisce about it. I'm keep looking back at it and wonder why didn't or couldn’t I do things differently, why am I the person now, can I still change and of course, if I had done things differently, would I have turned out any different from who I am today.
I really don't think anybody's excused from these dilemmas in life, it's just how people handle them that counts. If you can't handle it, there's always suicide of course. I have to admit that I have considered that option, but I guess I'm lucky that at that point, I still had really strong religious beliefs that went "You'll burn in hell if you take your own life". Everybody’s scared of burning in hell yeah? Some people ignore these issues, living in denial or "living in your own world". Some people tackle the issue head on. People might resolve the issue, come to a compromise, or fail to attain any kind of success at all. Even if you resolve the issue, it might come back to haunt you another time anyway, whether you did succeed or not. Doesn't that bite? Can anybody actually live their lives "without regret"?
Confidence. Self-confidence. Self-loathing. Self-esteem. Popularity. Acceptance. Friendship. Love. Self-love. Vanity. Courage. Brains. Intelligent. Power. Muscle. Sporty. Athletic. Musical. Entertaining. Funny. Kind. Caring. Weird. Artistic. Psycho. Troubled. Lone-ner. Hermit. Insane. Friendly.
These adjectives should be familiar to anyone facing their "quarter" life crisis, or some people consider that at my age, one-third of their lives have passed. Regardless of age, can anyone be truly in touch with one's self? One's emotions? Is anyone truly satisfied with one self?
What brought on this philosophical entry? Before flying of to Australia, I was frantically downloading movies back home, since I anticipated many hours alone with myself cooped up in my room, might as well entertain myself somehow. So I was downloading anything that sounded interesting on Bit Torrent. Some stuff didn't get through like my ST:TNG Season 2, and some stuff managed to get downloaded during the last minute attempt. So, back to the reason. I just finished watching this 1985 show called The Breakfast Club. It's about a 5 people having to spend their Saturday together in detention. One's a nerd, one's a rich-daddy's girl-prom queen, a jock, an (in the most appropriate spore term) ah-beng, and the weird-do. They find out what's it like on "the other side", become friends, wonder if they'll still be friends when they pass each other out in the halls when amongst their own group of friends. It’s about these 5 teenagers and the labels and mouds that they believe that they have to fall in line with. Since 1985, the story it tells still holds true today.
What do you do, when you're with your group of friends, and a social outcast approaches you? Seriously...even in uni, I see people being nice to the social outcast, and the bitching about them behind their backs. What do you do about it? Do you laugh along anyway to be "popular"? Do you laugh along AND join in the bitching?
What do I do you ask? I don't voice my dis-satisfaction, neither do I laugh along. It's as bad I guess....
Talking about social orders. I'm bitching about the PRC pple hanging out in the pool, making a whole damn lot of noise, and of course, I'm waiting for them to leave so that I can use the pool. I really hope they don't piss in the pool. If they just wanna soak in the pool, why can't they use the landscaped pool instead of the lap pool anyway. Sigh....PRCs..... Hmmm..is bitching about PRCs the same as bitching about social outcasts? Or does PRC = Social outcast?
Like I said, shows touching on such social sciences seem to have gained popularity once again today. Survivor, The Real World, The Big Brother, Who wants to marry a millionaire, The Bachelor, The Bachelorette....reality series where you throw people from different backgrounds together, and see what chaos develops, what kind group dynamics is played, the social order that falls into place.
It's actually interesting why I decided to watch it today. I was having my own marathon yesterday. Watched Brother Bear, Loony Tunes: Back in Action and Not Another Teen Movie. All but the latter were downloaded from Spore. NATM was downloaded from uni and in NATM, they a spoofed a scene from The Breakfast Club. I guess TBC is a movie classic and watching it just now, I can see why. It's a keeper BTW, not gonna delete it =P
"Regardless of race, language and religion". Discrimination exists in the world, you can't run away from it. . Like all reality series, they reward the person that's plays the game the best, that's most believable, most cunning, most popular. Singapore just chooses to hide everything behind this PC term - "a meritocracy".
It's pretty common to see teen life being depicted "accurately" in drama serials and movies these days, and it seems that it's a subject that really sells both on the big screen, and on the telly.
Everyone's been through that age where you're trying to find your voice, some of us are still in it, some of us reminisce about it. I'm keep looking back at it and wonder why didn't or couldn’t I do things differently, why am I the person now, can I still change and of course, if I had done things differently, would I have turned out any different from who I am today.
I really don't think anybody's excused from these dilemmas in life, it's just how people handle them that counts. If you can't handle it, there's always suicide of course. I have to admit that I have considered that option, but I guess I'm lucky that at that point, I still had really strong religious beliefs that went "You'll burn in hell if you take your own life". Everybody’s scared of burning in hell yeah? Some people ignore these issues, living in denial or "living in your own world". Some people tackle the issue head on. People might resolve the issue, come to a compromise, or fail to attain any kind of success at all. Even if you resolve the issue, it might come back to haunt you another time anyway, whether you did succeed or not. Doesn't that bite? Can anybody actually live their lives "without regret"?
Confidence. Self-confidence. Self-loathing. Self-esteem. Popularity. Acceptance. Friendship. Love. Self-love. Vanity. Courage. Brains. Intelligent. Power. Muscle. Sporty. Athletic. Musical. Entertaining. Funny. Kind. Caring. Weird. Artistic. Psycho. Troubled. Lone-ner. Hermit. Insane. Friendly.
These adjectives should be familiar to anyone facing their "quarter" life crisis, or some people consider that at my age, one-third of their lives have passed. Regardless of age, can anyone be truly in touch with one's self? One's emotions? Is anyone truly satisfied with one self?
What brought on this philosophical entry? Before flying of to Australia, I was frantically downloading movies back home, since I anticipated many hours alone with myself cooped up in my room, might as well entertain myself somehow. So I was downloading anything that sounded interesting on Bit Torrent. Some stuff didn't get through like my ST:TNG Season 2, and some stuff managed to get downloaded during the last minute attempt. So, back to the reason. I just finished watching this 1985 show called The Breakfast Club. It's about a 5 people having to spend their Saturday together in detention. One's a nerd, one's a rich-daddy's girl-prom queen, a jock, an (in the most appropriate spore term) ah-beng, and the weird-do. They find out what's it like on "the other side", become friends, wonder if they'll still be friends when they pass each other out in the halls when amongst their own group of friends. It’s about these 5 teenagers and the labels and mouds that they believe that they have to fall in line with. Since 1985, the story it tells still holds true today.
What do you do, when you're with your group of friends, and a social outcast approaches you? Seriously...even in uni, I see people being nice to the social outcast, and the bitching about them behind their backs. What do you do about it? Do you laugh along anyway to be "popular"? Do you laugh along AND join in the bitching?
What do I do you ask? I don't voice my dis-satisfaction, neither do I laugh along. It's as bad I guess....
Talking about social orders. I'm bitching about the PRC pple hanging out in the pool, making a whole damn lot of noise, and of course, I'm waiting for them to leave so that I can use the pool. I really hope they don't piss in the pool. If they just wanna soak in the pool, why can't they use the landscaped pool instead of the lap pool anyway. Sigh....PRCs..... Hmmm..is bitching about PRCs the same as bitching about social outcasts? Or does PRC = Social outcast?
Like I said, shows touching on such social sciences seem to have gained popularity once again today. Survivor, The Real World, The Big Brother, Who wants to marry a millionaire, The Bachelor, The Bachelorette....reality series where you throw people from different backgrounds together, and see what chaos develops, what kind group dynamics is played, the social order that falls into place.
It's actually interesting why I decided to watch it today. I was having my own marathon yesterday. Watched Brother Bear, Loony Tunes: Back in Action and Not Another Teen Movie. All but the latter were downloaded from Spore. NATM was downloaded from uni and in NATM, they a spoofed a scene from The Breakfast Club. I guess TBC is a movie classic and watching it just now, I can see why. It's a keeper BTW, not gonna delete it =P
"Regardless of race, language and religion". Discrimination exists in the world, you can't run away from it. . Like all reality series, they reward the person that's plays the game the best, that's most believable, most cunning, most popular. Singapore just chooses to hide everything behind this PC term - "a meritocracy".
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]