Saturday, May 15, 2004
Mary & Frederik
Called my aunt in Copenhagen yesterday.
She tells me that the Main Cathederal's only a stone throw away from where she lives, and the procession went by right under their city apartment. Although she says that she and her husband couldn't be bothered to go out to wave, and just watched the whole thing at home on the telly, I believe she was happy to be there at the centre of it all. Yeps, I'd like to think that her comment that the crown-price was a whimp for crying was said to annoy her hubby.
Seems that the week leading up to the wedding, the whole of Denmark had already been in festivities...which is more than I can say about the fest of stress and assignments I had the past few days.
Looking back at my Scandinavian tour of 1992, my memories of Denmark are only of Tivoli where they had a roller coaster that actually dove into the side of a mountain and the famous Little Mermaid statue. The latter clad literally in stone in the form of a little replica that sits adorned with dust on my hi-fi back home, oh and a picture of me posing with the tramp that came out of the lake.
It's interesting that I'm only learning it now from the commentary, that Denmak is the oldest country with a ruling monarchy. You really wonder if taking all those "educational trip" when I was young was all that worth it, or whether I truly appreciated the cultural experience I was getting or was just simply there to have fun, and be in a foreign country. These sorta stuff makes me want to take a world history module, just like I didn't know the significance of the Confederates vs Yankees civil war and what it meant to Britain and the US of A.
This whole royal wedding is proving to be a surprisingly entertaining and educational experience....they're having a celebration over at the Sydney Opera House, and the significance of holding it there, is because it was designed by a danish! Mmmm....more facts of Australia that I should be absorbing like a sponge while here really...
Having being termed a "fairytale wedding", I don't know whether that's a good thing or not though, since the last public one although had the princess in the same limelight that Princess Mary is receiving now, ended up tragicly...not so fairytale.
Hmmm....looking at the shots of the royal palace, I'm getting the "Hmmm...I've been there...I think". Most resplendent the whole thing looks on screen, almost to the point of being too lavish (like the other fairytale wedding), but just holding back enough poise to be a "people's" kind of wedding. I guess because mornachy is sort of a dying concept now, the only way to "remain in power" is to adopt the common theme everywhere of being a more of people's monarchy.
They're on the balcony now, waving at the people. Geez....Princess Mary's mother looks like a hag amongst all the other royalties...she definately needs more Botox treatments. Oh, of course we have to have the all so hollywood celebrity passe touch-cheek kisses to cement new family ties.
I do however wish them all the best, they both look great and suited to the positions they will eventually fill.
Let's hope the Dane's choice of Volvos and Rolls is a much safer if not a very very nice change to the ostentatious fleets of mercs usually associated with royalty. If only Saab would give me a convertable on my wedding day....
Maybe I'll just get to meet the royal couple when I visit my aunt in Denmakr at the end of the year. Can't wait to visit Tivoli again!!
Over the Air: Royal Band Music
Called my aunt in Copenhagen yesterday.
She tells me that the Main Cathederal's only a stone throw away from where she lives, and the procession went by right under their city apartment. Although she says that she and her husband couldn't be bothered to go out to wave, and just watched the whole thing at home on the telly, I believe she was happy to be there at the centre of it all. Yeps, I'd like to think that her comment that the crown-price was a whimp for crying was said to annoy her hubby.
Seems that the week leading up to the wedding, the whole of Denmark had already been in festivities...which is more than I can say about the fest of stress and assignments I had the past few days.
Looking back at my Scandinavian tour of 1992, my memories of Denmark are only of Tivoli where they had a roller coaster that actually dove into the side of a mountain and the famous Little Mermaid statue. The latter clad literally in stone in the form of a little replica that sits adorned with dust on my hi-fi back home, oh and a picture of me posing with the tramp that came out of the lake.
It's interesting that I'm only learning it now from the commentary, that Denmak is the oldest country with a ruling monarchy. You really wonder if taking all those "educational trip" when I was young was all that worth it, or whether I truly appreciated the cultural experience I was getting or was just simply there to have fun, and be in a foreign country. These sorta stuff makes me want to take a world history module, just like I didn't know the significance of the Confederates vs Yankees civil war and what it meant to Britain and the US of A.
This whole royal wedding is proving to be a surprisingly entertaining and educational experience....they're having a celebration over at the Sydney Opera House, and the significance of holding it there, is because it was designed by a danish! Mmmm....more facts of Australia that I should be absorbing like a sponge while here really...
Having being termed a "fairytale wedding", I don't know whether that's a good thing or not though, since the last public one although had the princess in the same limelight that Princess Mary is receiving now, ended up tragicly...not so fairytale.
Hmmm....looking at the shots of the royal palace, I'm getting the "Hmmm...I've been there...I think". Most resplendent the whole thing looks on screen, almost to the point of being too lavish (like the other fairytale wedding), but just holding back enough poise to be a "people's" kind of wedding. I guess because mornachy is sort of a dying concept now, the only way to "remain in power" is to adopt the common theme everywhere of being a more of people's monarchy.
They're on the balcony now, waving at the people. Geez....Princess Mary's mother looks like a hag amongst all the other royalties...she definately needs more Botox treatments. Oh, of course we have to have the all so hollywood celebrity passe touch-cheek kisses to cement new family ties.
I do however wish them all the best, they both look great and suited to the positions they will eventually fill.
Let's hope the Dane's choice of Volvos and Rolls is a much safer if not a very very nice change to the ostentatious fleets of mercs usually associated with royalty. If only Saab would give me a convertable on my wedding day....
Maybe I'll just get to meet the royal couple when I visit my aunt in Denmakr at the end of the year. Can't wait to visit Tivoli again!!
Over the Air: Royal Band Music
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]