Sunday, July 25, 2004
Parting is such (sweet?) sorrow
Airports are both an enjoyable yet sad places.
After the whirlwind of checking in, having sushi lunch that was bought at the nearby mall during their last minute shopping spree, settling the car rental with my dad's credit card, little time was left for parting words and hugs and then they had to disappear behind the security barriers out of my sight it seems, as fast as they had arrived.
I believe to make up for the most abrupt departure, I walked up to the viewing platform, and kinda stared at their Boeing 747-300 parked at gate 83 till the gangway (or is it aerobridge) retracted and the plane started pulling away. I followed the plane all the way as it taxied into position and took off departing Brisbane back to Singapore.
Will I ever see them again?
When will I see them again?
My aunts parted saying if they can, they'll come attend my graduation if I decide to pursue honours. Even if they didn't say that, I had already been deeply touched with the support that my 2 aunts, a cousine and my father had shown flying all the way from Singapore to attend the ceremony. It is indeed true that familys will rally around you at your time in need, I can always count on my family to be there for me, the sweet, gentle, most loving people that they are.
Ever since they arrived and saw my room, I have relived the days when I was still a young boy, and they would shower me with all their love and care. The aunties would nag at me to eat, treat me to meals, cook for me, update me about life back in Singapore, bitch about other aunties, make future plans to visit and aunt in Denmark, provide me with all the advice, patience and support I needed the days working up to my graduation, carrying bags and looking after my stuff during graduation, taking pictures for me and of me, the hugs, the congratulatory presents and finally the celebration dinner of me entering the graduate class, packing and cleaning up my room for me, sharpening my knives, stocking up the fridge and cupboards with what they claim are essentials (though not for the student budget!!)....I could go on all day, the fact was that they were there for me, and I love them so much for it.
I'm really quite depressed that their gone...as much as I was depressed when my brother and dad flew back to Singapore. How I wished Singapore was just an hr drive away, how I wish they'd allow handphones to be used on flights so that I can call my dad and hear his voice again, so that I can make sure he's safe and sound.
All I can do though, is pray for their safe flight, stay strong, and hope that I entertained and accomodated them to the best of my ability whilst they were here in my care (hmmm...or was it the other way round eh?)
Over the Air: Sighings of a grown man
After the whirlwind of checking in, having sushi lunch that was bought at the nearby mall during their last minute shopping spree, settling the car rental with my dad's credit card, little time was left for parting words and hugs and then they had to disappear behind the security barriers out of my sight it seems, as fast as they had arrived.
I believe to make up for the most abrupt departure, I walked up to the viewing platform, and kinda stared at their Boeing 747-300 parked at gate 83 till the gangway (or is it aerobridge) retracted and the plane started pulling away. I followed the plane all the way as it taxied into position and took off departing Brisbane back to Singapore.
Will I ever see them again?
When will I see them again?
My aunts parted saying if they can, they'll come attend my graduation if I decide to pursue honours. Even if they didn't say that, I had already been deeply touched with the support that my 2 aunts, a cousine and my father had shown flying all the way from Singapore to attend the ceremony. It is indeed true that familys will rally around you at your time in need, I can always count on my family to be there for me, the sweet, gentle, most loving people that they are.
Ever since they arrived and saw my room, I have relived the days when I was still a young boy, and they would shower me with all their love and care. The aunties would nag at me to eat, treat me to meals, cook for me, update me about life back in Singapore, bitch about other aunties, make future plans to visit and aunt in Denmark, provide me with all the advice, patience and support I needed the days working up to my graduation, carrying bags and looking after my stuff during graduation, taking pictures for me and of me, the hugs, the congratulatory presents and finally the celebration dinner of me entering the graduate class, packing and cleaning up my room for me, sharpening my knives, stocking up the fridge and cupboards with what they claim are essentials (though not for the student budget!!)....I could go on all day, the fact was that they were there for me, and I love them so much for it.
I'm really quite depressed that their gone...as much as I was depressed when my brother and dad flew back to Singapore. How I wished Singapore was just an hr drive away, how I wish they'd allow handphones to be used on flights so that I can call my dad and hear his voice again, so that I can make sure he's safe and sound.
All I can do though, is pray for their safe flight, stay strong, and hope that I entertained and accomodated them to the best of my ability whilst they were here in my care (hmmm...or was it the other way round eh?)
Over the Air: Sighings of a grown man
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]
