Friday, December 24, 2004
Caveat Emptor
pro bono
Pronunciation: "prO-'bO-(")nO
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin pro bono publico for the public good
: being, involving, or doing legal work donated especially for the public good
So it aint exactly pro bono, but my dad dragged me down to his friends' company yesterday to troubleshoot some problems they're having with their computers.
I killed all 12 virii, upped thieir XP to SP2, fixed their printer problems, upgraded drivers and basically firewalled their systems by installing some anti-virus and firewall implemmentation.
Took the oppurtunity to install Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird to replace the root of their problems, using IE to surf and retrieve their mail.
Adviced them that one of the virii was a trojan and they should change all their passwords immediately.
I wouldn't say "pro bono-donated" really since it wasn't a volutary visit but as a favor to me dad.
But what does that mean to me? That I offered my services for free!! What am I, a charity organisation? My degree's that worthless? I'm a blodee professional, you don't ask a doctor for free advice do yer?!!
All I got was a cup of bamboo juice that tasted strangely acrid. The boss still had the cheek to ask whether I can conduct classes for all their workers dropping hints like "You very free right?"....
Well, in this case when nothing was actually "bought", should have done a shitty job...a pox on your house!!!!
Pronunciation: "prO-'bO-(")nO
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin pro bono publico for the public good
: being, involving, or doing legal work donated especially for the public good
So it aint exactly pro bono, but my dad dragged me down to his friends' company yesterday to troubleshoot some problems they're having with their computers.
I killed all 12 virii, upped thieir XP to SP2, fixed their printer problems, upgraded drivers and basically firewalled their systems by installing some anti-virus and firewall implemmentation.
Took the oppurtunity to install Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird to replace the root of their problems, using IE to surf and retrieve their mail.
Adviced them that one of the virii was a trojan and they should change all their passwords immediately.
I wouldn't say "pro bono-donated" really since it wasn't a volutary visit but as a favor to me dad.
But what does that mean to me? That I offered my services for free!! What am I, a charity organisation? My degree's that worthless? I'm a blodee professional, you don't ask a doctor for free advice do yer?!!
All I got was a cup of bamboo juice that tasted strangely acrid. The boss still had the cheek to ask whether I can conduct classes for all their workers dropping hints like "You very free right?"....
Well, in this case when nothing was actually "bought", should have done a shitty job...a pox on your house!!!!
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]