Thursday, December 23, 2004
Conversational Pieces
Dropped by M1 the other day to scout for a new phone to replace the literally greating ageing pocket bell - S45. It's not the lest surprising that there's a plethora of choices available now. It's not just the sweeds Nokia or Ericsson anymore, but there's German Siemens, Koreans LG & Samsung, British Sagem and not forgetting the yanks, Motorola.
With these many choices, why is it that so many Singaporeans out there seem to be equipped with Nokia phones instead of the many, just as beautifully sculptured and fully equipped phones.
You must admit, it is pretty uncharacteristic of the typical Singaporean to go around with an "Ooooh, look at me, I'm another nokia user" rather than the normal for extreme shock factor and bragging rights, a "My new handphone had a titanium casing, can take 1.5 gigapixel pictures, is scratch-water-child and god-proof, has a swiss army knife with shaving blade option built it, and also doubles as a class 3 phaser".
I asked myself the same question and realised that when I went shopping, I had already struck Nokia off my list since I'm not one to belong to the masses. Instead, I was looking out for the SF65. Yeps, another Siemens phone.
My first phone was the Motorola StarTac X, followed by a short lived stint with a Sony Ericsson T39 and finally my tried and tested 2-year old Siemens S45.
So why another Siemens...
Precision German engineering?
Overiding Features?
Scintilating Forms over function?
or just plan ol' Brand Loyalty you say?
Hmmm, I'd like to 'All of the above' actually, but I know I havn't done a comprehensive full market research of comparing features, functions and reading reviews as per norm with the predecesors.
I guess brand loyalty is quite an overiding answer in these situations. Without extensive research and comparisons of the multitude of phones available out there, one is left to decide with the factors that are...well, known.
One is already so used to the form, function and most importantly, user interface of their current phone. They know it to be tried and tested (well often than not really), it already works for them. It would be extremely hard to convince an upgrader to choose another brand.
So what does this all mean??
Sing ACS Forever !!
Seriously, that's where I wanna send my child(ren) to!
Yeps, and I'm still waiting for the StarTAC X to make a comeback, in ultimate retro glory!
PS. If you happen to be scouting for my christmas gift, the SF65 has not been released yet....
PSS. Nokia users suck eggs!
With these many choices, why is it that so many Singaporeans out there seem to be equipped with Nokia phones instead of the many, just as beautifully sculptured and fully equipped phones.
You must admit, it is pretty uncharacteristic of the typical Singaporean to go around with an "Ooooh, look at me, I'm another nokia user" rather than the normal for extreme shock factor and bragging rights, a "My new handphone had a titanium casing, can take 1.5 gigapixel pictures, is scratch-water-child and god-proof, has a swiss army knife with shaving blade option built it, and also doubles as a class 3 phaser".
I asked myself the same question and realised that when I went shopping, I had already struck Nokia off my list since I'm not one to belong to the masses. Instead, I was looking out for the SF65. Yeps, another Siemens phone.
My first phone was the Motorola StarTac X, followed by a short lived stint with a Sony Ericsson T39 and finally my tried and tested 2-year old Siemens S45.
So why another Siemens...
Precision German engineering?
Overiding Features?
Scintilating Forms over function?
or just plan ol' Brand Loyalty you say?
Hmmm, I'd like to 'All of the above' actually, but I know I havn't done a comprehensive full market research of comparing features, functions and reading reviews as per norm with the predecesors.
I guess brand loyalty is quite an overiding answer in these situations. Without extensive research and comparisons of the multitude of phones available out there, one is left to decide with the factors that are...well, known.
One is already so used to the form, function and most importantly, user interface of their current phone. They know it to be tried and tested (well often than not really), it already works for them. It would be extremely hard to convince an upgrader to choose another brand.
So what does this all mean??
Sing ACS Forever !!
Seriously, that's where I wanna send my child(ren) to!
Yeps, and I'm still waiting for the StarTAC X to make a comeback, in ultimate retro glory!
PS. If you happen to be scouting for my christmas gift, the SF65 has not been released yet....
PSS. Nokia users suck eggs!
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]