Tuesday, December 07, 2004
Local on Foreign Soil
From the desk of A-Local-on-Foreign-Soil
I ventured out on my own today with alter-ego, myself.
Took the train (why didn't I call it the MRT?), noticed that there was a purple line now (wait, shouldn't I be calling it the North Eest line?), and decided that since Sim Lim Square (or should I call it the GeekHub) nearer to the Little India station than the Bugis staion that I usually stop at, might as well save some on the walking time and try out the new driverless "Smart" trains out .
Must say I'm quite impressed. Trains were clean, spartanly furnished with little crowding (Read: Pesky passengers) and you can even stare out the windows so as to react to any possible head-on collisions if you sit in the front cabin like I did.
The programming impressed me quite abit since I noticed that the train and station doors aligned themselves quite nicely most of the time. Such is the perils of doing a 'Concurrent & Real-time Systems' course - You marvel at the technicalities involved in programming a driverless train....
Took the maxwell road exit so that I could swing over to the old rex theatre and buy some Old Chang Kee or spot some Rex Chicken rice but apparently, Rex has moved all their operations to the kopitiam near my house and I had to settle for some 'since 1968' Curry Puffs. Not that any of that's bad =P
Met me friend and we took a breather from the passing shower at the SLS basement Food court. Sheesh, even that has changed...seems that they finally renovated the place. Thankfully one of my favourtie noodle shops hadn't moved.
Anyways, did the SLS tour and so much has changed yet again. Familiar shops seem to have either closed, relocated themselves to other levels or have sprouted branches (Oh wait! That's a metaphor! Geez...the perils of doing a 'Human-Computer Interaction' course).
It's just been one year/10 months/slightly less than 365 days (depending on whether you're a glass half-full or half-empty kinda person and your desired level of quanitfication) away from home and it's chanegd so much already. I feel like a tourise for gawd sakes! Do I belong? Has a year of "sabbatical" made me a foreigner again, or am I just viewing Singapore in a whole new light again, from the point of a tourist.
Maybe I really should get an aussie PR and denouce my Singaporean citizenship. That'd save me 6 months of army, l33t!
Over the Air: Ysterday - Swingle Singers
I ventured out on my own today with alter-ego, myself.
Took the train (why didn't I call it the MRT?), noticed that there was a purple line now (wait, shouldn't I be calling it the North Eest line?), and decided that since Sim Lim Square (or should I call it the GeekHub) nearer to the Little India station than the Bugis staion that I usually stop at, might as well save some on the walking time and try out the new driverless "Smart" trains out .
Must say I'm quite impressed. Trains were clean, spartanly furnished with little crowding (Read: Pesky passengers) and you can even stare out the windows so as to react to any possible head-on collisions if you sit in the front cabin like I did.
The programming impressed me quite abit since I noticed that the train and station doors aligned themselves quite nicely most of the time. Such is the perils of doing a 'Concurrent & Real-time Systems' course - You marvel at the technicalities involved in programming a driverless train....
Took the maxwell road exit so that I could swing over to the old rex theatre and buy some Old Chang Kee or spot some Rex Chicken rice but apparently, Rex has moved all their operations to the kopitiam near my house and I had to settle for some 'since 1968' Curry Puffs. Not that any of that's bad =P
Met me friend and we took a breather from the passing shower at the SLS basement Food court. Sheesh, even that has changed...seems that they finally renovated the place. Thankfully one of my favourtie noodle shops hadn't moved.
Anyways, did the SLS tour and so much has changed yet again. Familiar shops seem to have either closed, relocated themselves to other levels or have sprouted branches (Oh wait! That's a metaphor! Geez...the perils of doing a 'Human-Computer Interaction' course).
It's just been one year/10 months/slightly less than 365 days (depending on whether you're a glass half-full or half-empty kinda person and your desired level of quanitfication) away from home and it's chanegd so much already. I feel like a tourise for gawd sakes! Do I belong? Has a year of "sabbatical" made me a foreigner again, or am I just viewing Singapore in a whole new light again, from the point of a tourist.
Maybe I really should get an aussie PR and denouce my Singaporean citizenship. That'd save me 6 months of army, l33t!
Over the Air: Ysterday - Swingle Singers
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]