Saturday, July 09, 2005

Extravaganza

Today marks one week of national service.

I'm sure you're all dying to hear what I have to say about my experience so far.
At this moment, I'm kinda in a good place, I feel that working life isn't so bad afterall in the army, if you're in the right place, with the right people, in the right frame of mind.

Working life has been interesting so far. On my very first day, I was treated to a MacDonald breakfast, somebody got promoted! Being a friday and SAF Day, everybody was naturally elated. I was office boy for awhile, copying some stuff and then road marshall. These are the things that epitomise being a clerk. These menial duties that make the army uniquely what it is.

I recalled and remember the dreadful life in my previous unit. The drudgery of work, the office politics, surrounded by people whom have no pride in their work let alone any form of ethics.

I thank God that my experience so far has been different. I feel appreaciated for the skillset I possessed and am relief that my superiors have the presence of mind to delegate work that suits a person of my experience. Of course I don't expect to be asked to draft new policies and spearhead the direction of the SAF, but I've at least been tasked to revamp certain office publications and am in charge of a static display for the upcoming SAFTI 10th anniversary seminars.

The office itself is at the forefront of their area of research and I have been using their rich resources to view the army in a way that I never thought possible - positively. I actually believe in the doctrine that we've produced so far and do see that if it progresses, the army (and it's leaders) are headed for a good future.

At the same time, I am shocked at how much luxuries the upper-echelon of the army is given. The facilities, food, classrooms, servitude alloted could put some of the world's largest royalty to shame.

Fortunatley, such priviledges trickle down the hireachy and whatever is left is not disgarded, but welcomed with open arms by the peasants. If it continues though, I am certain to put on far more weight that I gained overseas!

In other news, of 3k budgeted for a new computer system, I managed to help SAF spend $2997.35 of it! Wow-wee! Pentium D 820 dual-core CPU with 19" UltraPrecision LCD monitor, 2x 160GB SATA HDD!

I do apologies for the complete vagueness that I'm coming from, but I'm hesistant and at the same time, fearful of the future of my life (and this blog) given the recent developments on the bloggersphere...

But once again, I'm definately tickled by the novelty of this feeling I'm experiencing...I sincerely hope it continues. TGIF!

Over the Air: Phantom of the Opera End Title (DVD) Thanks Darren!

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]