Sunday, August 27, 2006

The SSO saves me money!

Originally wanted to attend the SSO concert where they're performing Saint-Saƫns' Organ Symphony but I found out that it will be broadcasted live online, yay, save myself $56 like that... but then again this is the kind of music where you experience the whole organ! Wanna hear the Opera House's organ....

[Update: Ahhh, I can't book it online, it's soldout?!]

Found out also they have quite a few of the concerts online for free viewing, watched Nigel Westlake's (he wrote the music to Babe) Percussion Concerto. Quite mesmerising the solo percussionist, handling the huge sets of percussion instruments on the stage... well except the singing bowls... that one was rather... erm... boring.... everthing else was brilliantly done!
So happy with myself, I managed to identify the Marimba before they showed the label... cheap geeky thrill I know.

Well watch that video called "Bang! Drums and Guns. Part 2", if not for the Percussion Concerto, then the 1812 overture that comes after that, damn nice to see a live performance, you can just feel the cymbals, drums, timpini and chimes! Wish I was playing...

Bang! Drums and Guns. Part 2
Nigel Westlake, composer of exuberant concert works and film scores, places percussion front and centre in his Percussion Concerto, a striking piece composed for the Sydney Symphony's Rebecca Lagos. WESTLAKE Percussion Concerto (World Premiere) TCHAIKOVSKY 1812 Overture

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]