Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Symphonische Variationen

Got roped into playing for orchestra again...

Symphonische Variation by Antonin Dovrak, Op. 78

Yay, this time round, I've got quite a few timpini solos and this time only the solos in the thema and first 2 variations are pianissimo, the rest are actually noted fortissimo and he wants it louder!!!

Still think it's extremely stressful to play uder a conductor who's a percussionist with the SSO, he tends to pick on the percussion section quite alot. Wait...that's me!
Just before he went on the break, he made me sight read all the solo timpini parts!!! Phew.... luckily I got everything... except for for variation 10, which I dunno why I skipped that entired line and was reading variation 11 instead, so I didn't come in, whoops!

Otherwise, I think I did a good job sight reading through all 27 variations and I love the finale, so...so... animato! =P

Eh band wise... even with the new conductor, we're still stuck in intermediate gear though I think he's trying to push us.... but we've got no double reeds, only 1 horn (which is the same solo horn in the orchestra also), tons of saxophones and half the percussionists are piano players doing "this" as General Education...

Luckily the RJ girl is playing also this sem, got somebody to talk to. We were comparing which school has lousier instruments, coz she thinks AC band is rich. I told her we didn't get a marimba, the chimes and the congas till 1997 and pointed at the uni glock and said during my time, the glock was the same state. It doesn't ring, some of the notes fall out and it just sounds horrid...

Yes, for all the money that UNSW has, the music department doesn't even have chimes, we've gotta borrow almost everything else... sucks!

In other news, I fially completed FFII just before heading for band, now on to Soul of Rebirth!

Over the Air: Puszta - Jan van der Roost

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]