Tuesday, November 21, 2006
Edison vs Tesla
The moment the cat was out of the bag, I immediately thought of this...

The Prestige has a transparent, see through plot that serves not to surprise the audience but bore them into the backs of their seats. I often found myself squirming uneasily hoping that the movie would speed up and skip all the boring dialogue. I also wondered why they'd let the most lamentable attempt at developing the love attributes between characters into the final cut. Who the blodee hell's the director?!
The way Nikola Tesla was introduced and played a most unethical role is quite disconcerting but further reinforces the theme that science will always be at odds with magic/illusions. Don't even get me started on how the character portraying Edison looked as though he had escaped form the Arkham asylum and the Tesla/Edison rivalry was some kind of weird Batman/Joker conundrum.
Kudos though as the one thing I got from this film is the most ingenius way that was used to solve the duality paradox, but of course, not without inflicting pain.
The ending left me hanging undecided on which side had won - Good or Evil? Science or Magic? Calvin & Hobbes might have achieved so much more with their corrugated cardboard box and probably had more fun and interesting adventures than in this movie. But however, I believe it was Cartman that said "Damn you, Science!".

The Prestige has a transparent, see through plot that serves not to surprise the audience but bore them into the backs of their seats. I often found myself squirming uneasily hoping that the movie would speed up and skip all the boring dialogue. I also wondered why they'd let the most lamentable attempt at developing the love attributes between characters into the final cut. Who the blodee hell's the director?!
The way Nikola Tesla was introduced and played a most unethical role is quite disconcerting but further reinforces the theme that science will always be at odds with magic/illusions. Don't even get me started on how the character portraying Edison looked as though he had escaped form the Arkham asylum and the Tesla/Edison rivalry was some kind of weird Batman/Joker conundrum.
Kudos though as the one thing I got from this film is the most ingenius way that was used to solve the duality paradox, but of course, not without inflicting pain.
The ending left me hanging undecided on which side had won - Good or Evil? Science or Magic? Calvin & Hobbes might have achieved so much more with their corrugated cardboard box and probably had more fun and interesting adventures than in this movie. But however, I believe it was Cartman that said "Damn you, Science!".
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]