Sunday, November 05, 2006

Today in Sydney


Went on a reference book hunt all around the CBD today but didn't manage to find what I was looking for... gonna try Bondi Junction tomorrow... last attempt before I settle for the bruised and dented copy that the uni bookshop has. Reference books here cost an arm, a leg and your kidneys!

Couldn't prevent myselfr from popping into fish records on George St since they were having a sale and bought Bohemian Rhapsody - The music of Smetana & Dvorak. What caught my eye was actually Dvorak's Symphonic Variations which I performed with the orchestra recently (coz the Naxos recording I have totally sucks! But then again tt's expected from Naxos....)... well and because it was on the sale rack. Only $16.99!

Little did I know how wonderful István Kertész and his Isreal Philharmonic Orchestra are!! It's simply the best version of The Bartered Bride and Slavonic Dances I've ever heard! The orchestra's presence in the recording is large and full bodied. Kertersz's interpretation is full of life and vigour! Unlike the run-of-the-mill muted, touchy-feely versions of these Dvoraks.

It started drizzling in the evening, so everybody was ducking in and out buildings and seeking cover under various out-crops of the cityscape.

I personally like the feeling of a light drizzle on my skin, the chilly winds and comforting dark embrace of the cold. So I actually rolled up the sleeves of my pullover, extended my collar and walked right down george street from Martin Place all the way to World Square! Gonna miss all these moments so much...

Got my usual hand rolls from sushi train at the George Street Hoyts, contemplated walking in the rain all the way up to oxford street...but it was getting heavier and the droplets on my pullover were getting saturated.

Relaxing now in my house, listening to the most blast-able self-satisfying CD buy (read Retail Therapy). It's a wonderful day!

Over the Air: Symphonic Variations, op. 78 - Dvorak

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]