Tuesday, January 16, 2007
Changing Lanes
I admitted today that the longer my stay in Singapore drags on, my resolve to migrate just gets a little lesser.
The circle of friends I have here will be sorely missed for one. I might never be able to find people that I can gel with so nicely, to be able to trust and rely on. How we are able to show love in the most harsh way and still be able to get away with it. The ability to count on people to show up with last minute notice. The neccessity of bitching to each other about life, sharing our own unique views and nuances as well as tips, hints and pages of our "Guide to living life in Singapore" cliff notes. The wonders of being able to talk forever if not for the strong conscientious work ethics that require us to get a good nights sleep.
We're all moving forwards and upwards in life but we're all growing together, forging our own path whilst remembering to create the little tributeries and alleys to retain our connectoion to each other's lives... sort of like how a neural network works!
It feels as though I'm betraying them to a certain extent making this attempt at migration. It certainly feels that I'm abandoning them, leaving them to fend for themselves, jumping off the ship.
How I'm going to miss the espirit de corps, the cameraderie, the back stabbing, the slapping and the constant need to fend off each other's sexual advances! =P
We might live in a technological age that helps reduce the attrition that geological and metaphysical barriers present, but nothing can replace the livid atmosphere, mutiple simultaneous conversations and the subtle inflexions that we've all learnt to read.
The circle of friends I have here will be sorely missed for one. I might never be able to find people that I can gel with so nicely, to be able to trust and rely on. How we are able to show love in the most harsh way and still be able to get away with it. The ability to count on people to show up with last minute notice. The neccessity of bitching to each other about life, sharing our own unique views and nuances as well as tips, hints and pages of our "Guide to living life in Singapore" cliff notes. The wonders of being able to talk forever if not for the strong conscientious work ethics that require us to get a good nights sleep.
We're all moving forwards and upwards in life but we're all growing together, forging our own path whilst remembering to create the little tributeries and alleys to retain our connectoion to each other's lives... sort of like how a neural network works!
It feels as though I'm betraying them to a certain extent making this attempt at migration. It certainly feels that I'm abandoning them, leaving them to fend for themselves, jumping off the ship.
How I'm going to miss the espirit de corps, the cameraderie, the back stabbing, the slapping and the constant need to fend off each other's sexual advances! =P
We might live in a technological age that helps reduce the attrition that geological and metaphysical barriers present, but nothing can replace the livid atmosphere, mutiple simultaneous conversations and the subtle inflexions that we've all learnt to read.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]