Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Educating Singaporeans

Friend sent over an extremely damning expose article on the many questionable actions of our government entitled "Mindboggling Numbers behind Singapore's High Cost of Living". [http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sg_Review/message/2311]

I'm embarassed myself that this article was brought to my attention by a friend less politically-bothered than me though I could see how the article was of direct interest to his situation.

Just this afternoon I was wondering myself how archiac our vehicle taxation system was. Has there been an independent review on the LTA's policies on COE, ERP?
If LTA has specified that imported vehicles have to meet EURO IV standards, then surely they can last more than 10 years without causing more pollution right? What about mordern diesels that are only a fraction dirtier than their petrol equivilent? Why continue to make hybrids and diesel cars far more expensive than petrol ones? Could some free trade agreement condition be involved? Could it be our fear of the mighty companies that occupy jurong island?

How does one little citizen get their simple questions answered?

Recently when I brought up that NUS was a world-class university, a current NUS undergraduate friend went "Bah! All bluff wan...".

Just how did we get that title and do we deserve it?
So what if NUS is world-class when our our own citizens cannot afford to pay their school fees or have lost their place to an increasing population of "foreign talented" students?

Do we then owe our world class ranking to these foreigners or Singaporeans then?

I'm glad that my friend forwarded the article to me, it's a really good read! It also makes me wonder if all my hee-hawing to friends have caused them to be more politically aware?

It's my belief that the first step to making a positive step forward for Singapore is to -

  1. Make more Singaporeans aware of these matters and get thinking about it
    • Word of mouth - Talk, Ask, Complain, Bitch!
    • Blogging about it
    • and my personal favourite
    • Wear a T-shirt! (Mondonation)

  2. Get the appropiate officials available to answer our questions publicly but apparently our media channels are all just too good



An example is him forwarding has prompted me to do more research. I've come across this article questioning the recent GST hike (which I usually, in jest, refer to by saying that I've given to the gvt whom have already apparently factored my contibutions into the GST system when acostered to donate to charity) entitled "Is Singapore an inclusive society?". [http://www.thinkcentre.org/article.cfm?ArticleID=2818]

Baby Steps... small baby steps...

Over the Air: ABC Classic FM Stream

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]