Monday, January 22, 2007
FF 668
Firefox slowed my computer down to a crawl today forcing me to close the many windows and eventually quit the whole app itself to free up the memory it was hogging.
Even after closing all but ONE window, it seems the memory manager isn't told to perform garbage collection. A browser window displaying some graphics shouldn't be taking up 668mb of memory!!!

Here's a screenshot of the task manager showing how Windows has decided to allocate a 1.2GB swap file for VM even though I've stated that a maximum swap file size to be 500mb...

500mb of physical memory is freed and you can see Windows clears about 1GB of swap space...

Shall make the leap to FF 2.0.0.1 later to see how it holds up.
Managed to get my Travelstar 7K100 today from Storage Studios... seem they're the only shop in the whole of SLS that brings in 7,200rpm notebook drives. Though the price has dropped slightly $175 from the $189 a week ago ... I hope rotation speed makes up for the denser 5K120 that I could have gotten for that amount of money...less 50 too at only $123. Realised I forgot to get an external 2.5" case for the spare HDD just as I exited the carpark... doh!
Even after closing all but ONE window, it seems the memory manager isn't told to perform garbage collection. A browser window displaying some graphics shouldn't be taking up 668mb of memory!!!

Here's a screenshot of the task manager showing how Windows has decided to allocate a 1.2GB swap file for VM even though I've stated that a maximum swap file size to be 500mb...

500mb of physical memory is freed and you can see Windows clears about 1GB of swap space...

Shall make the leap to FF 2.0.0.1 later to see how it holds up.
Managed to get my Travelstar 7K100 today from Storage Studios... seem they're the only shop in the whole of SLS that brings in 7,200rpm notebook drives. Though the price has dropped slightly $175 from the $189 a week ago ... I hope rotation speed makes up for the denser 5K120 that I could have gotten for that amount of money...less 50 too at only $123. Realised I forgot to get an external 2.5" case for the spare HDD just as I exited the carpark... doh!
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]