Monday, February 19, 2007

Botchulisms

Maybe I should include the following in my thesis... or frame it up somewhere... or send it to all web developers... Just why do people continue to design in static contexts for the web eh?

WordPress theme designers annoy the cray out of me
Having browsed through over a hundred and fifty themes, I’m left with one burning question in my mind: why are 90% of these themes designed by utter pinheads who don’t understand basic Web concepts like letting the viewer control the presentation?

I’ve ranted about the drooling idiocy of pixel-sized fonts before. Many of these themes not only make that mistake (which hoses anyone in a screen with a DPI different from the designer’s), they cram the content into boxes or vertical bands that don’t resize when you widen or narrow the browser.

There are a handful of honorable exceptions: Clasikue. Anarchy. Curtains up. Dixie Belle. Elvgren. Flex. Fullwidth. Gentle Calm. Gila. Greenhttp://www2.blogger.com/img/gl.link.gifwood. Ice. The three “Journalized” themes. Man-ja. Operate. Placidwide. Psycho. Rampart. RohitKumar.org. Sixties. Steam. But by and large, almost all of the more than 250 themes at this site (and elsewhere I’ve looked) make the same basic, unforgiveable error. They treat the display like fancy paper under the control of the theme designer rather than allowing the user’s preferences to control font sizes and the width of the display area.

It’s the web, you morons! Stop wasting readers’ screen space with frames and diapered borders. They have better use for their pixels than all that frou-frou crap.


Am getting quite hooked on Eric's Raymond's blog, just read up on his views on Suicidalism! Wonder which of his propositions can be applied at home...

Getting rather annoyed changing mental models straddling the new 20" LCD between the PC and the PB. The damn MS bluetooth keyboard that I've hooked up to the PB isn't helping either... I keep pressing the ALT key when I'm meant to be pressing the Windows key which is the equivilent of the Apple key... stupid muscle memory!

Now the PB seems to need a reboot now, everything's slowing down. Either I need to reformat my dad's notebook or I've found a bug in OS X/FF!

Over the Air: PB fan noise starting to worry me

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]