Saturday, March 24, 2007

YHA - Sydney Railway Square

The thing with having a hostel in a 1904 timber structure or "Inwards Parcels Shed" is that there are low ceilings and sleeping on the top bunk is more dangerous than your average sleepover at your friend's house... How so? I have a soveniour in the form of a huge bump on my head from connecting with the sprinkler system the first time I climbed up!

So my first day back in Sydney, it's hotter than I expected unfortunately, walked all the way from Central over to Pitt St and back to get some havanas (they cost only half the price here - AU$18.95) since I didn't bring over a pair of thongs. Had to take since i was literally soaked in my own sweat, you could actually see the huge pools of it collected on the hairs of my body!

The shower was refreshing though, nice strong massaging type of water pressure such that you just want to stand under it the whole day to cool off... which is why I used cold water, something which I'd never do back at home if I had the choice, but this is what the Australian summer does to you...

Slept the rest of the day away, not sure why but I'm really quite tired today. Even slept on the plane, which never happens! Well...actually I blame it on Charlottes Web...utterly boring thing put me to sleep! Saw Dreamgirlz before tt (very ok-ok only wannabe musical) and History Boys later (which was really quite good, not as dark as Dead Poets but having said that one must note that a different set of "coming-of-age" boy dilemmas were showcased). Felt that it was a rather poignant piece of film considering I'm reading freakonomics and a lot of this the-whole-world-cheats-and-so-should-you morality thing is tackled under the context of scholarship interviews and some very clever injunctures of subconjecture/serendipity. Only managed to squeeze in about half an hour of barnywards before they collected back the headsets... was killing myself for forgetting to get a headphone adapter so I could use my new cans. That would be the ultimate comfort test wouldn't it - an 8-hour flight.

Met dW for dinner at pasteur for some beef noodles. He brought along some very nice company too, such interesting people! One of thems apparently a compulsive blogger too, we wanted to exchange blog addresses but since I don't give mine out...

Feeling tired again after showering and I'm the only person in my 4-bed room. I feel like such a loser!!! But then again, I'm not a canadian or a frenchman on holiday here. I'm a sydneysider! In my defence, I did turn down the offer of a DVD screening over at one of dw's friend's place.

So nice and cool now, was surprised that it started raining just as we stepped out of the restaurant! Such a huge contrast to the sweltering heat of the day...so much that I stayed out in the rain instead of finding shelter. Aaahh...the strange things that you do in foreign countries where you don't care of being judged since you're a nobody, not even a somebody!

It's a strange feeling I'm having now though, such a one-eighty to my personality... contemplating seeking out numbers of the people I just met, staying on in this hostel so I can meet more transient people. Somehow or rather, it's all somewhat a farmiliar sensation, as if I were showly realising that I'm reading a book that one has already read before.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]