Sunday, June 17, 2007
Le Garcon
The vibe at this warm osteria is always buzzing and convivial, no doubt helped by the tempting aromas from Aurelio Spagnuolo's kitchen. Wooden tables, Italian artefacts and tea lights lend plenty of atmosphere to one of Sydney's more unusual tours of Italian cuisine, thanks to a large range of classic and lesser-known regional and heirloom dishes. Sydney Morning Herald Good Food Guide 2007 Score: 12/20
So went to this fancy smancy Italian restaurant called Osteria dei Poeti in Glebe for dinner yesterday. It's apparently a REAL Italian place since the chef is also the owner of the restaurant, points are given also because he's Italian...well I'm assuming "Aurelio Spagnuolo" is an Italian name of course. Recounting my experiences with Italian food back home bore the conclusion that Pasta Fresca de Salvatore or Pontini back home doesn't actually count as real Italian restaurants because they've been commercialised. It's gotta be a place that's opened and owned by an Italian chef!
One of the kicks I got was reading the Italian name of the dish and trying to guess what it was, then reading the description and finding out that I've totally got it wrong... The vegetarian antipasta dish for 2 was really good, there was all sorta stuff on it that I've never eaten in my life! The haberfield bread... erm, have had better bread and must admit that dipping bread in olive oil & vineger then coating it with a thick layer of salt is still setting off alarms both in the head and on my tongue. The meatball pasta (was playing it safe) was so-so, the sauce was... rather vague actually, lotsa bits like onions, olives, fennel and stuff but it didn't really taste good, more bland than anything though it might be the overdose of sodium that's causing ofactory senses to crash. Meatballs were really good though! I mean, what better way to judge an Italian restaurant then by a dish that's the hallmark and greatest export of their culture eh? Was so stuffed that I didn't have any room for any dolci =( But no worries, we've pledged to return to try their seafood antipasti and for me, the tiramisu!
Watched a later than planned show since dinner went from, and I quote, "relaxing" to a "leisurely" paced one. Do like Oceans Thirteen, I mean I left the movie feeling good and liking it though admittedly it's quite a rehash of the previous two but the same theme just manages to reel you into the intense criminology that must have count as revolutionary during that era.
Today's another relaxing day I guess, managed to finish season 3 of lost today so that's another series wrapped up for me. The atmospheric music (thanks Darren!) they use really draws me into the show every single time! Too bad they're all very short runs so they'd never appear on CD like what they did with The Dig. Another cliff-hanger, sigh...
Unfortunately I've managed to find another gem to get hooked on called "Freaks & Geeks", the pilot has really got me all fuzzy inside!
Why is it getting so hot in my room?!
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]