Thursday, June 28, 2007
A Lobotomy Can Set you Free!
When Brain Damage Helps: Solution Spaces Are Constrained by Prefrontal Cortex [link]
Great... since I've got no problems with either. In fact I got the 2nd one immediately whereas I had to think for the 1st problem! (Well I immediately thought of the inequality symbol but alas that's not allowed...) So that means I've either got a "under-functioning frontal lobe" or my prefrontal cortex isn't constrained towards thinking within a box?! I think it's more of a lack of common sense for me...
Well I slept with someone last night and boy did she hog the blanket (did I mention I sleep on a single sized bed?), such a damn prude not to mention a slob! She even got me up super early with all her complaining! Sigh, really need to wash the sheets now since it's got cat fur all over it now...
The authors tested 35 patients with focal brain lesions to the lateral or medial prefrontal cortex, along with 23 age- and education-matched healthy subjects, on a series of similar "matchstick arithmetic" problems, with 3 minutes to complete each problem. Whereas only 43% of healthy subjects completed the second problem, more than 80% of the patients with lateral prefrontal damage were able to do so!
Great... since I've got no problems with either. In fact I got the 2nd one immediately whereas I had to think for the 1st problem! (Well I immediately thought of the inequality symbol but alas that's not allowed...) So that means I've either got a "under-functioning frontal lobe" or my prefrontal cortex isn't constrained towards thinking within a box?! I think it's more of a lack of common sense for me...
Well I slept with someone last night and boy did she hog the blanket (did I mention I sleep on a single sized bed?), such a damn prude not to mention a slob! She even got me up super early with all her complaining! Sigh, really need to wash the sheets now since it's got cat fur all over it now...
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]
