Tuesday, August 21, 2007
Bionomial Nomenclature
Usability participant didn't turn up...again!
Arrrgh... kids these days and their "Hawkins" fluidity of time...
Quit waiting after an hour and headed for some grub at Badabagan. So there I was in upper campus eating my lunch of Emperor Pork and Curry Chicken when I overheard a conversation happening behind me that sounded rather familiar. Well, wasn't actually listening to the content but more of the style. It was a quick staccato smattering of english and mandarin mish-mashed together. Why the familiarity I asked myself?
I turned around and realised why. There were these two people that were undoubtedly Singaporean. See it wasn't just the most basal of Singlish that they were speaking which was clear from their enunciation and intonations, it was also their dressing style, their looks and dressing. One of them was rather awkwardly plump and had bleached hair. The other was short, slumping, and had a very sharp gelled haircut. Both rather gruff-dykey looking.
What we have here, ladies and gentlemen, are one of the rarest form of Singaporeans here in UNSW...actually, the whole of Australia - The Singaporean Ah-lian. Sadly, these were the ugly variants and not the prettier shampoo for brains kind (our version of the Aussie bumkin). You just couldn't overlook their crassness via distraction like in the latter.
Whenever I glanced back, the bleached haired one would stare back at me in the "simi dai chi" manner. Wanted to turn around and ask if whether they had fallen off the UNSW Asia boat or stoled-away on it...
Must lament the awful degradation of Singaporean notoriety by the introduction of these sub-species. Silly UNSW Asia...
Arrrgh... kids these days and their "Hawkins" fluidity of time...
Quit waiting after an hour and headed for some grub at Badabagan. So there I was in upper campus eating my lunch of Emperor Pork and Curry Chicken when I overheard a conversation happening behind me that sounded rather familiar. Well, wasn't actually listening to the content but more of the style. It was a quick staccato smattering of english and mandarin mish-mashed together. Why the familiarity I asked myself?
I turned around and realised why. There were these two people that were undoubtedly Singaporean. See it wasn't just the most basal of Singlish that they were speaking which was clear from their enunciation and intonations, it was also their dressing style, their looks and dressing. One of them was rather awkwardly plump and had bleached hair. The other was short, slumping, and had a very sharp gelled haircut. Both rather gruff-dykey looking.
What we have here, ladies and gentlemen, are one of the rarest form of Singaporeans here in UNSW...actually, the whole of Australia - The Singaporean Ah-lian. Sadly, these were the ugly variants and not the prettier shampoo for brains kind (our version of the Aussie bumkin). You just couldn't overlook their crassness via distraction like in the latter.
Whenever I glanced back, the bleached haired one would stare back at me in the "simi dai chi" manner. Wanted to turn around and ask if whether they had fallen off the UNSW Asia boat or stoled-away on it...
Must lament the awful degradation of Singaporean notoriety by the introduction of these sub-species. Silly UNSW Asia...
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]